7.14.2011

How to Make a Pillow Form {a free tutorial}

I have been on a little bit of a pillow making kick lately. I love that pillows add so much to a room and are pretty quick to make. I have a few pillow tutorials that I'm going to be sharing soon, in the mean time I wanted to share how Kathleen and I make pillow forms that will stay full.

 Materials needed:
1 bag of Shredded Foam
1 Yard Hobbs 80/20 Batting (or similar batting)
 **For a nice full batting we suggest that you make your pillow form two inches LARGER than your pillow. I am making an 18" pillow so I will make a 20" pillow form.**
Cut two batting squares 20"x20".
 Sew all the way around three sides of the batting squares. Leave about a 10" hole on one side.
Stuff the Shredded Foam into the pillow form. We like pillows to be very full so for an 20" pillow form we added 1 cubic foot of Shredded Foam.
Top stitch closed.

It's that simple, the super nice thing about making pillow forms this way is they will stay full for a long time!

Thanks for visiting our quilting blog!
Have you checked out our patterns recently?
For more fun updates sign up for Piece N Quilts newsletter.
Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.
~Natalia
{Connect with us}


youtubei pinterest

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Do they feel lumpy at all though, from the shredded foam?

    MGM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought to use batting instead of muslin!! I'll have to try that. I'm off to do a search for shredded foam =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, maybe I can use this tip to fill up my lumpy IKEA toddler pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Natalia,the pillow forms I buy seem to get as flat as pancakes in no time. Do you think Warm and Natural would work as well as the Hobbs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is such a good idea! I refuse to pay the exorbitant amounts charged for department store pillow forms. One thing that I have done is gone to the local thrift store and bought the old ugly throw pillows for $1.00. I let them sit in the sun a few days...give a good wash...or just take the cover off and start all over again. You really can't beat $1.00 :) Thanks for sharing! I will definitely have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tip. I never thought of using batting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tip. I never thought of using batting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering about making my own pillow forms. I thought about using poly fil but I know that gets all funky after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to do that! The forms I bought a while back are flat and useless :( Where'd you get the foam?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your works, they are beautiful.

    Congratulations

    have a good day

    Josefina

    tijerasycuchara.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to try this idea. Never used quilt batting for the pillow forms. Where do you find the shredded foam for stuffing?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you know how many pounds equals one cubic foot? most of the places that sell foam, sell it by the pound. Your information has been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our blog! We love to hear your comments!